Employment at Alderleaf
Alderleaf has been growing every year. We can accept resumes at any time of the year and can keep them on file for when new positions open. Typically the hiring process for instructors takes place in the spring for new positions that start in the summer. Current and future openings are listed below:
The following positions are not currently open, however we accept applications to keep on file for future openings:
Core Instructor Positions
Core instructors are the primary instructors for Alderleaf courses. They are year-round positions that include teaching at our core programs (including field trips), as well as various other courses (including weekend classes, custom courses, and summer programs). Core instructors are involved with all aspects of the programs, from lead teaching to coordinating trips, assisting guest teachers, and overseeing student progress. Core instructors also assist with outreach including writing articles for the Alderleaf website, taking photos & video clips, as well as caring for classrooms & the land, and various other support tasks.
Instructor positions are exempt, salaried positions.
Core Instructor Responsibilities Include:
- Instructing at Alderleaf courses
- Coordinating program logistics
- Assisting with outreach and other support tasks
Core Instructor Qualifications:
- Experience instructing in at least several of our core curriculum areas: wilderness survival; ethnobotany (edible/medicinal wild plants); naturalist skills; wildlife tracking; permaculture/sustainability; and outdoor education. (currently the strongest needs are in ethnobotany and permaculture)
- Good leadership, communication and writing skills
- Wilderness first aid certification
- Computer / office skills
- Willingness to work a variable schedule and periodic weekends
- Ability to perform moderate physical work, lifting up to 50 pounds
Preferred (though not required):
- Familiarity with Alderleaf's courses and curriculum, AWCP graduate
- Bachelor or Master's degree in an environmental or education field
- Basic videography skills - experience producing short videos for the web
Core Instructor Compensation:
- Annual starting salary range of $38,000 to $42,000 for full-time positions averaging 5 days/week (depending on experience & qualifications). Benefits: Paid time off for five major holidays plus additional paid vacation/sick time.
To Apply for a Core Instructor Position:
Send a cover letter, resume, completed general employment application, and instructor questionnaire to: email@example.com.
Top candidates will be contacted to schedule.
Learn about our team on the Alderleaf faculty page.
Grow Your Outdoor Skills! Get monthly updates on new wilderness skills, upcoming courses, and special opportunities. Join the free Alderleaf eNews and as a welcome gift you'll get a copy of our Mini Survival Guide.